How can I set up an RSS feed of my training events?
RSS (Rich Site Summary) is a web feed that allows users to access public training events in a standardized, computer-readable format. In Neoserra, you can create feeds of certain training events. Other organizations may, for example, only want to publish your government contracting training event information; or perhaps only your veteran focused training events, in which case you can create a feed of just these specific events.
An RSS feed of your training event records will include the full event description, the start date and additional metadata, such as date entered and the publishing center's name. The third-party organization can subscribe to your RSS feed, which means they don't have to manually check your eCenter Direct site for new events as they are added to eCenter Direct. Instead, their browser constantly monitors the site and automatically downloads the new data.
Of course, if you want to include all your events on an external web site, then you can do so by embedding all your events as discussed in the FAQ titled: Does eCenter Direct support deep links or embedding of training event records to link to from my main website?
Only administrators can set up an RSS feed.
Steps to create an RSS Feed for Training Events
- To create the feed, the first step is to create and save a filter of events that represents the events that you want to share. In the example below, we intend to share all events with a primary topic of "Business Plan":
Note: Only public events that are shared on eCenter Direct can ever be included in an RSS feed.
- Make sure that you are an administrator, and click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the Neoserra interface, and select your personal preferences.
- Scroll to the bottom of the preferences page and click "New|RSS":
- Enter a name of your feed. This name is not used anywhere in the feed but will help you organize multiple feeds that you might want to create.
- Decide whether you want to include any events other than "Open" events. If you do, then you can select different status options while keeping in mind that the status selected here should not conflict with your filter.
- Choose the centers you want to include, again keeping in mind that if your filter did not include other centers, then the settings here will not have any affect.
- Select your saved training event filter:
- Select the desired protocol. There are several different versions of RSS. Neoserra supports RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0 and ATOM 1.0.
- Give your feed a title that will be used by the third-party web site.
- Provide a generic link for that channel.
- Provide a description of the channel.
- Click "Save" to save your feed.
Now that you have configured your RSS feed, you can share it with your partners. The link is provided at the bottom of your preferences page:
You will need an RSS reader to see the XML. In the sample snippet below you will notice that two events were included:
While Neoserra can help you create the RSS feed, our support does not include implementation of the feed on your third-party web sites.
Note: Last but not least, it is important to note that if you delete the filter from the Neoserra database then the RSS feed will fail to function.
Want more? Browse our extensive list of Neoserra FAQs.